The Structure of Bellamkonda Fort
Bellamkonda Fort is situated in the Sattanapalle taluk of Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh. This fort is also known as the ‘hill of the caves’. It is made up of a single stone wall, that connects the higher level of the hill and the place at the south-east and north-west angles. The extreme front is terminated by these angles.
The entrance is designed beautifully in the front. It is built with a twisting pathway starting from the hills’ foot which is near the village. The Bellamkonda Fort is like an equilateral triangle in shape which elevates an enclosed area. The area is about one-sixteenth of a square mile.
The current position of the fort
The wall of the fort is in a disastrous position as heavy rainfall in the past had brought down the parts of the wall. Though the two bastions are strong even now, they are also hanging outwards which is already in a position to damage the below part of the fort. Inside the fort, there are bushes and grasses which creates difficulty while entering the western and eastern faces of the fort. There are remains of some old stone buildings, storerooms, and old magazines in the fort. The fort has its highest point at 1569 meters above the sea. There are two small ponds near the fort. There is also a temple in the fort which is said to have been constructed by the kings of Vijayanagara.
History of the Bellamkonda Fort
The history of this fort is still not discovered and still uncertain. Bellamkonda fort was constructed by the Reddy kings of Kondavid. However, after the main king of Reddys passed away, the possession of the fort was taken over by the Orissa kings in 1482. Again in 1531, some other king of Orissa took possession of the fort with the help of his large troops. After that, the rulers of Vijayanagar took over the possession of the fort which was followed by the Mughals in 1578. The Mughals became successful in taking possession of the fort in 1578 with an aim to end the Hindu rule in this south part of India. In the eighteenth century, the Britishers had begun towards the goal of acquiring the fort. They had already built mud huts near the fort.